Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Weather report.

As so often happens when you're leaving some place you'd rather be, today's getaway weather is just magnificent. After a long weekend of temperatures in the high 50s to low 60s and a fair amount of clouds and even a bit of drizz, it is 72 as I write this and the sky is an azure like you read about in travel magazines.

Things often unfold these ways. Like Robert Burns said so many centuries ago, "The best laid plans of Mice and Men..."

More annoying and perhaps more to the point, I've had two freelance jobs as capricious as the weather. They say "yes," and then moments later call back sheepishly and say "no." The cash register in my head is staying shut for now.

I have always been one who doesn't count his chickens until they're hatched and even though it's been just a short while, this seems especially true with freelance assignments. That said, I must be doing something right, because, the phone rings and people are asking about me.

Long ago when I was at Ally & Gargano, someone told me a quotation by the epigrammatic Carl Ally: "Advertising should afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted." Right now, while the weather is comfortable, I am feeling afflicted.

Hopefully, there will be some work soon to comfort me.

No comments: