Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Two thoughts on writing.

At least once a week I get an email from an account person or a project manager thanking me for being as fast as lightning.

There are two reasons behind my...celerity.

1. I realized about 20 years ago that really the only time I get in trouble at work is when I avoid doing things. When I procrastinate (which leads, often, to lying) bad shit happens. So when I have something to do, I usually do it now. Now is a good habit to get into. I enjoy not having things hang over my head. I like having a clean plate.

2. I don't actually write until all the words are in my fingers. What I mean is by the time I sit down to a piece of copy or a script, I've already written it and rewritten it in my head. I'm probably no faster than a lot of other writers. But facing the keyboard occupies very little of my time. Which makes people think I am faster than I am.

No comments: