Friday, June 1, 2012

Thanks.

I saw a tweet from a friend of mine reminding the world to thank the people who have helped them along the way. Thanking, I think, is something we do all too often. In fact, in our hyper-narcissistic era, I think most people forget that everything--no matter how accomplished and original--has precedent. That no one got where they are without the help of some significant others.

Years ago when I was knee-high to a cockroach, I had sold a long copy campaign where the copy ran on the order of 500 words. These were my first real ads and now I had to write more than some writers write in a decade.

With real trepidation I wrote my copy and read it to my boss, Harold Karp. We spent about two hours together going over it line by line.

I figured he spent that much time with me because he hated what I had written. It turned out that he loved it and was helping me get better.

Thanks.


No comments: