Thursday, June 21, 2012

It had to be said.

One of the surprising things about marketing people is how many of them are especially lousy when it comes to marketing themselves.

It's getting to the point where it's beginning to piss me off.

I have 1232 Linked In linkees. About half of those twelve-hundred are fairly recent and they're people, I think, who have linked in to me primarily because I am an ECD at an agency that's considered "hot."

In other words, I probably couldn't pick them out of a line-up.

Nevertheless about three times a week I get an badly-written email from someone I don't know asking for my help in getting a job.

Look, I'm happy to help people if I can.

But you have to first help yourself.

Treat yourself like you'd treat a product you'd advertise.

Treat me like you'd treat a consumer.

Be interesting.

Be intrusive.

Be smart.

Above all, fucking be grammatical.


3 comments:

David Smith said...

Hi George - You might consider linking only to people you know and want to be associated with. Otherwise LinkedIn is as much a spaghetti monster as the rest of 'em. You can click on the Contacts link, select names of the people who can't write well, and delete them from your contacts. Oh, and please let me know if you have any openings. - David

KL said...

George, I was tickled to see that we are "3rd" degree links. I am happily employed, not in the creative dept, but you just never know.

Jeff said...

Agree completely. The other surprising thing is how bad agencies are at doing it for themselves: http://rotationandbalance.blogspot.com/2012/06/think-different.html