Saturday, June 9, 2012

Groucho and groceries.

Fairway ("Like No Other Market") is the big supermarket/everything emporium in my neighborhood. It's an event, a scene and home to everything you could possibly want for your kitchen, all fresh off the farm, out of the sea or from the slaughterhouse. In the year or so it's been open in my neighborhood, it's annihilated virtually all other supermarkets and fruit stands. It's so big and so fresh, nothing else can compete.

My wife and I stop there almost every weekend after our run, doing our week's shopping. The only problem with Fairway and shopping this way is that you have to get your things delivered. Fairway sits about a half-mile from our apartment and lugging home eight bags of groceries is painful.

Delivery is free is you spend over $150, it's $4.95 if you don't. Today we fell about $25 short so we paid the delivery fee.

The young Nigerian man just showed up with our groceries. All I had was a $10. I asked him if he had a $5. We exchanged his $5 for $10.

It all reminded me of a bit by Groucho, I thing from "Night at the Opera":

"Do they allow tipping on the boat?
- Yes, sir.
Have you got two fives?
- Oh, yes, sir.
Then you won't need the ten cents I was going to give you."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Piyush Group is today one
of the leading real estate developers of the country.

Anonymous said...

Piyush Group is today one of the
leading real estate developers of the country.

Anonymous said...

Piyush Group is today one of the leading real estate developers
of the country.

Anonymous said...

Piyush Group is today
one of the leading real estate developers of the country.
My web site > Piyush Group

Anonymous said...

Piyush Group is today one of the leading
real estate developers of the country.
Also see my webpage: Piyush Group