Thursday, June 21, 2012

Brand stories.

Great brands tell great stories.

It's pretty simple.

IBM does it.

Nike does it.

American Express does it.

Even Coke and Pepsi do it.

What great brands don't do is create lists of copy points.

Or pound their chest.

Or blast the volume.

"Storytelling" is today's marketing shibboleth.

People like me, in fact, are categorized by the agencies they work for as "storytellers."

I've been in advertising virtually my whole life, having grown up with a father who was in the business. I've spent a good portion of my 54 years thinking about how I'd take a brand, product or service to the public.

I've never thought of myself as a storyteller.

But that's ok.

It's today's jargon, and I don't want to get all King Canute about it. I can't hold back the tide.

Today, my partner and I will show some nice work to our client.

The client that says they want to tell their brand story.

Let's see if it all becomes about copy points.

No comments: