Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The organization man.

Ever since, I suppose, I was a little kid I've had a fairly organized mind. I am disciplined enough to be able to sort, in my mind, all the things I have to do and create, again in my mind, a to do list for the day. I think it drives people who don't have this facility crazy because I don't keep a calendar and I don't write things down. I was blessed with a near-photographic memory and simply using your memory improves your memory, so things work out for me.

Usually I compile my day's list in my head right after I wake up in the morning. I keep the list to three or four or five things, because that's all you can reasonably expect to get done in a day. When I check my email in the morning, I often find I have to add something to my list. That's ok, because I keep my lists brief.

What I've found through the years is that when you're organized and you come in early, you can get most of your to do list done in about an hour. This morning I finished mine in 25 minutes.

I've always felt in advertising that there is a distinction between the assignment you're given and the job that needs to be done. Often they are diametrically opposed but I've found that convincing the client that there's a bigger job to be done usually leads to better assignments and better work.

That's what I try to work on most of my day.

No comments: