Friday, September 12, 2008

Sloppy thinking. Bad writing. Part 9,342,384,505.


The other night on the way home I saw a restaurant on 6th Avenue with the following tagline: "Food for the five senses."

"See" I get. "Taste" I get. "Smell" I get. But "Touch" I don't get unless they serve only apples, grapes and popcorn. And "Hear" is even more inscrutable unless they specialize in Rice Krispies.

Then, I saw this copy in a banner ad:
"Show your __________ and enjoy complimentary access to participating airport clubs when you fly."

Two issues:
1. When I'm flying, I can't enjoy an airport club. I'm generally in an aging aircraft.
2. And when I'm not flying, I ain't hanging around airport clubs, i.e. "Hey, honey, we have nothing to do tonight, why don't we head over to JFK and hang in the Ambassador's Club and eat Triscuits."

No comments: